Getting a DWI in Texas is no joke. Even if you believe you did not lose the normal use of your mental or physical faculties when you got behind the wheel, a judge may think differently and hand down some tough penalties.
Your first line of defense against being unfairly penalized is to get yourself an experienced Austin DWI lawyer who knows the ins and outs of Texas DWI laws. If you’ve been arrested for a DWI, here’s what you need to do next to protect yourself.
Know the Consequences of a DWI
In Texas, the consequences of being convicted of driving while intoxicated (with either alcohol or drugs) are harsh. You need to know what you’re facing so you have the motivation to get all the help you can get, as soon as you are charged.
Here are the penalties you can expect, depending on your particular situation.
DWI for Minors
First-time offenders under the age of 21 with any detectable amount of alcohol in their blood can expect zero tolerance. You can expect:
- Up to 1 year suspended license
- Up to a $500 fine
- At least 12 hours of Alcohol Education
- Community service
- Possibly an ignition interlock device
DWI for Adults
If this is your first DWI offense and your blood alcohol level is less than .15, you can expect:
- Between 3 and 180 days in jail
- Up to 2 years of suspended license + an annual surcharge of up to $2,000 for 3 years in order to keep your license
- Up to a $2,000 fine
- Up to 12 hours of Alcohol Education
- A possible ignition interlock device
Note: Penalties get exponentially worse for repeat offenders, if you have a higher alcohol concentration and if there are any minors in the vehicle when driving while under the influence.
Contact an Austin DWI Lawyer
Why should you contact an Austin DWI lawyer as soon as possible after getting a DWI?
- You’ll be able to relay information about your arrest (and the time leading up to it) while it is still a fresh memory. This is very important for your case!
- A DWI lawyer can work quickly to keep your license from being suspended and give you a better chance of a successful plea deal.
- Since a DWI lawyer knows the ins and outs of Texas DWI law and has prior experience with prosecutors and judges, you’ll have the best chance of receiving a fair outcome at your hearing.
If you or a loved one needs an Austin DWI lawyer, contact The Law Office of Eric Harron today!