Sexual assault in Texas is no small matter. Prosecutors in here take sexual assault charges very seriously—and you should, too!
The Most Common Sexual Assault Charges
In Texas, sexual assault is the same as rape. The variations are:
- Sexual Assault (Rape): Non-consensual, unwanted sexual intercourse or consensual sexual intercourse with an individual between the ages of 14 and 16 by someone greater than 3 years older than the victim.
- Aggravated Sexual Assault: Threat of violence, injury, kidnapping, use or show of a deadly weapon, or substance administered to the victim, or if the victim is younger than 14 or elderly or disabled.
- Indecency with a child (Statutory Rape): Engaging in sexual contact with a child under the age of 17 who is not a spouse
The Consequences of Being Convicted of Sexual Assault
The consequences of being convicted of sexual assault in Texas are very serious which is why it’s important to get sexual assault charges dropped if at all possible. Depending on the details of the case, penalties and consequences for sexual assault felonies may include:
- 2 years to 99 years prison
- Being a registered sex offender
- Fine up to $10,000
- Job loss and not being hired due to your criminal record
- Loss of dignity and reputation
If your charge gets elevated to a first-degree felony, prison time can be increased to 5-99 years in prison.
The Defenses for Getting Sexual Assault Charges Dropped
Since every case is unique, it’s important to have a sexual assault lawyer in Austin who knows the ins and outs of Texas law and has a stellar reputation in the courtroom.
A good attorney will build a case around the victim, the circumstances, the level of the case, and the evidence. Some of the most common defenses to sexual assault in Texas include:
- Insanity or mental incapacity
Even if the victim falsely filed a charge or desires the state to not pursue the allegations, it is a very difficult situation once charges have accepted by the prosecuting agency. However, in these situations, this is an opportunity for a good sexual assault lawyer in Austin to provide a strong defense.
No matter the circumstances surrounding the case, you have a much stronger chance for getting sexual assault charges dropped by contacting the Law Office of Eric Harron. We have a strong track record for getting the outcomes our clients need and deserve.
If you been charged with sexual assault in Texas, don’t delay. Call today!