Vandalism Lawyer in Austin, TX

Crimes commonly referred to as vandalism are covered in the Texas Penal Code as criminal mischief. You can be charged with criminal mischief if the police have reason to believe that:

  • You intentionally and knowingly damaged property not belonging to you;
  • You intentionally and knowingly tampered with property not belonging to you;
  • You caused some loss in value and/or considerable troublesomeness;
  • You intentionally wrote, painted, inscribed, or drew on property not belonging to you.

If you have been accused of criminal mischief, call me today to help with your case.


Penalties for Criminal Mischief

Sentences for criminal mischief convictions include fines ranging from $500 to $10,000 and possible jail sentences ranging from 180 days to two years. Some think that criminal mischief charges are not very harsh and won’t affect their future, but that’s far from the truth. A criminal mischief conviction gives you a criminal record that will follow you for the rest of your life. So even if your sentence is not very severe, the lingering consequences will affect you societally much longer than you think. To protect your future and freedom, make your first call to me and I’ll fight for your case.

Defending Against Criminal Mischief Charges

To be convicted of a criminal mischief charge, there needs to be physical evidence. Defending against a criminal mischief charge means aggressively scrutinizing the process with which the police gathered their evidence and challenging the reliability of said evidence. If the evidence was obtained in an illegal search and seizure, it’s possible to have your whole case dismissed. If the evidence is purely circumstantial, it’s possible to show there is no physical evidence tying you to the crime.

Seek Help from an Experienced Austin Criminal Defense Lawyer

With my experience working closely with the criminal justice system in Texas, I can try to help you protect your freedoms and future. Your future is worth the effort now of trying to keep a conviction off your record. Contact me today.